Thursday, April 13, 2006

Glitter




Back before time was such a tightly regulated commodity, I made jewelry out of gold, silver and sort-of-precious stones. I learned how to do this at the Jewelry Arts Institute on the Upper West Side in New York. Like knitting, it became a happy obsession. But unlike knitting, it was not portable.
























(I love that the woman on the left is holding a cluster of necklaces)


I'm hanging on to my jewelry bench and tool stash, hoping and expecting to dive in again. Maybe it'll evolve into some combo of metal work, gem stones and knitting. I just bought this necklace, which is made of hand knitted red silk with thin chains invisibly attached by micro stitches. It's a visual and conceptual inspiration that feels wonderful on, a perfect blend.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home