Sunday, April 02, 2006

Formerly known as Synaesthetica

My blog used to be called Synaesthetica, but no one could spell it. So now it's called Knitting While Sleeping, which I actually have been observed doing.



(The knitting is in the shirt)


Getting on with business, spring is here and my sap is rising. Our tiny back garden needs designing and planting, the house renovation continues to dribble along but is substantially finished, and unpacking all our worldly posessions and purging half of them proceeds slowly since it's boring. Meanwhile, my first knitted lace shawl is underway in Alchemy's deliciously tart Sour Grass bamboo.



Keeping up my standards for multi-tasking, I feel another new project is in order: FORTUNES. I've saved my fortunes from fortune cookies since 1980. They're in an old wood, bone and porcupine quill box I got at a flea market in London.



Over the past five years I've noticed that fortunes have taken a dive and are no longer true prognostications or even interesting. The smiley-faced monopoly of dull aphorisms has come to dominate the fortune market, crushing all the Mom & Pop weird fortune producers.



Clearly this is yet another depressing effect of the current Bush administration; they have no poetry in their black, wizzened hearts.

In my own puny effort to give back power to the people, I will dig through my fortune stash and resurrect the lost art form of the romantic, the ominous, the fanciful, the dead-on fortune, starting with an all-time favorite...



and another bonus fortune.



More to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

So you've caved and joined the knitting blogging community. Welcome!

Kimono looks good and tarty!

Wendy

4/03/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yeah, Merrill! Not only could I not spell Synaesthetica, but I was afraid to attempt saying it polite company.

Sadly I purged my collection of fortunes, but I agree with your assessment of the sad insipid cookie contents of today.

4/03/2006 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home